Applying to and becoming a part of the Knoxville Habitat for Humanity program is not an overnight process. Much of it depends on how long it takes for you to complete your 500 sweat equity hours. At a minimum, it will take you 1 year to go through our program from start to finish.
There are several steps that we follow with prospective homeowners to ensure that we are accepting individuals and families who are in need of simple, decent and affordable housing.
This is what you can expect:
- Submit your pre-application online or by mail.
- Knoxville Habitat for Humanity will run a credit check to verify the details of your pre-application and determine if your finances meet the criteria for our program.
- If you meet our credit and income guidelines, you will attend a one-on-one informational meeting and fill out a full-length application.
- A member of our Board of Directors or Family Services Committee will come to visit you in your current house or apartment to get to know you better and to verify your need for housing.
- We will run your name through the sex-offender database.
- If approved, you will attend an orientation class and start earning 500 hours of sweat equity through classes and construction projects.
- Once you have earned 250 hours and completed a budget review, you are eligible to select a building lot from among those where we plan to build.
- You will work alongside volunteers to build your own home. Your last 150 hours are usually earned on the construction site for your new home.
- Once completed, your home will be blessed at a special dedication ceremony.
- Your home will be deeded to you. You move in and become a homeowner – and begin making monthly mortgage payments.